Total Page Views

Saturday, April 7, 2012

"Dramatis Ars Poetica" (Dramatic Poetry) : "Dimmer"


This is the first in a series of 'Dramatic Poems' I've working on from 'certain point of view' . . . I may hope to get these produced and performed as a series of plays; a dramatic social commentary of Race in our society at large . . . and now here's . . .

Dimmer . . .


The stage is dark.

Slowly we hear some demonic laughter rise in volume.  Then cries of numerous people in pain, this sound too rises in volume to blend with the previous.  Both sounds start to take on a pluralistic quality. 

Then the crack of whips is heard followed by more sequential cries of pain.  Creeping into this sonic fray is a wet ripping sound accompanied by that of a furnace and the popping sound of gases escaping.

Then the stage back drop lights up with a red shimmering color to reveal a slumped over silhouette.  It starts to shuffle forward.

Along with his motion comes a new set of sounds: the sound of hellish gun battle; glass breaking, tires screeching, cries of pain from those felled by the bullets, multitude of curses from the combatants . . . in short an 'urban battle field.'

The sound of heavy, labored breathing slowly creeps up and over the other noise then fades in volume

Slowly a cool reddish-blue light comes up on the figure.  It reveals a young black man dressed in the most 'outrageous' of hip hop gear; the image is that of a gang banger

His clothing is ripped and tattered and very soiled.  Through the rips in the clothes blood is pouring from what looks like deep wounds; bullet holes.  His face is no less of a heinous mask; blood is coming from his mouth and an inverted cross-shaped gash in his forehead.  The Blood runs down his face and onto his clothes.

The state of this person is obvious; He’s dead.

Gradually the sound fades to a very low but audible level.  Figure starts to speak . . .

YOUNG MAN

I get dimmer . . .
I get dimmer . . .
The life force of me
Like so many before me
Flickers less and less . . .
Lately, I haven’t known rest . . .
I toss and turn . . .
I toss and turn  . . . in my fiery coffin
Cause I feel, cause I can see how often
Many of the future generation
Unwittingly give their souls
A future home in Hades dark dimension.
I’d cry if I could
But the sins of living years
Have forever dried my tears
No heart inside, I’m rotting driftwood
My present immortality makes me see clearly
That “Each man is a shaper of his own Destiny.”
Is all bullshit . . .!
The kids growin’ up in the ghettos
Have been robbed of the ability to do so
Ever since that birthday yell into the air
They spit . . .
Take a look at the past and you’ll see
That all throughout the annals of Western history
Great advancements in society
Have long been made at the expense of the dignity,
And well-being of the Black Man’s ancestry.
For few sugar cubes in a ‘cup o tea’
They ferried thousands across open sea
After having raped and pillaged
Every town, palace and village
As far as their greedy eyes could see.
Used Christianity as the smoke to pacify
The righteous stirrings of the resident bees,
Any who didn’t succumb to the fumes
Were stepped on, flattened without so much as sigh
By systematic long-term bleaching of the mind
Not a semblance of a once proud humanity . . .
Was left behind.
So the vacuum was filled with notions of inferiority
So thus was born Slavery,
The forced interment into an abyss of dependency
On those who boast pale skins
To survive physically, to feed their kin
They had to win Their approval
But it was usually at their brother’s downfall
Black People need a strong elixir, dark with black essence
An essence that would awaken in the mind independence
And hardiness against all the mental and physical dependence,
To survive and feed on the fruit of confidence
They need Black Coffee,
Its flavor bitter with the struggle to be free
To purge the blood from the toxins of subjugation
That they’ve force-fed this lost nation.  
Today that poisonous situation still remains
The state now with ‘legal’ muscle maintains
That coffee is no good without Milk in it
That the Raw Taste and Heat of this drink would elicit
A gagging response and
Irreparable damage to Society’s Tongue
The taste too bitter
And scalding would follow before long.
So some Cool Milk would serve to make everything stable
Make this drink of change a little more 'palatable'.
But the question must be asked, “For Who?”
For who?
Blacks on this planet, nationally to overseas
Were Who ordered that Cup of Coffee
Which entity divine gave The State the Authority
To augment the contents of this Cup of Coffee?
We are Paying Patrons in this Tricolor Restaurant,
Where many a Dish of Dreams is seasoned, prepared and served
Just like any of the Others, our existence here isn’t truant
Like the Others we have the right to reserve
A Table at This Establishment
And the right the dictate how we want our food prepared,
For our unique palates' enjoyment,
Ketchup or no ketchup we should be able to chose our Condiments.
But still . . . They tampered with My Coffee.
And cajoled, not all that softly,
That it’s good for everybody . . .
But all that Coffee seemed to breed in me
Was contempt for greater society,
Which was empty ‘cause I didn’t know my real history
Had no respect for my real history
Not really my fault . . .
That subject was never taught . . . to me
All I had at my disposal were scrolls
Deliberately deficient in mentioning my worth, my role
In the scheme of things, in society
So I lacked the poise, to make noise
That wasn’t easily ignored.
So my soul I abhorred . . .
What was the use of planning for a future
Which you know you don’t have?
Why waste time to nurture
Something They won’t let you have . . .!?
I couldn’t stand the stench of Society’s Cologne . . .
Tried to make the powers that be atone . . .
For what they did to me . . . were doing to me . . .
Blinded by my rage, frustration and ultimate ignorance,
I unwittingly, became an instrument for the eradication of Me.
I indulged in misguided violence against my own,
My own version of traditional bloodlust and arrogance
I started to hone.
Teamed up with, went to war with
Other lost souls like me
Told my mother “Fuck You!”
As she cried and prayed
“Lord have mercy on my Baby!”
For by then I was the Devil’s own but didn’t know it . . .
Each poor fool that tried it, 'bought it' . . .!
They stay 'makin’ love' to six feet of earth!
And as his blood was being sucked into the earth . . .
. . . At his fleeting soul I’d spit.
And on his dissipating potential . . . I’d shit.
Somewhere along the way a suffocating cloud fell on me;
I’d enlisted in the Devil’s Army
The enlistment fee my Humanity . . .
But one night finally . . .
Death sent his emissary . . .
Riding high on a hollow-tipped horse . . .
Sent squealing through the back of my skull
By another punk, who, like me,
Didn’t know the meaning of remorse!
So . . . now I stand in line
Shoulder to shoulder with those
Whose brains and bodies I shredded with my TEC-9
While the demons of my past take form and dine
On my soul for Eternity
Even as hellfire flame consume me.
A strange gleeful assuredness washes over me: I won’t be lonely
For soon Your Children will join me
In my hellish reality . . . if they haven’t already
If they aren’t living it already . . .
But . . . I grow dimmer . . .
Well look here . . . I knew . . . it:
The images of Your Children start to shimmer . . .
Into view . . .
And they grow dimmer . . .
They grow . . . dimmer . . .
And  . . . dimmer . . .

Slowly, the figure turns around and shuffles back to his spot where he was at the outset.  The spotlight goes out, leaving just the light from the backdrop.

The sounds once again climb in volume as the backdrop lights slowly fade out.  They continue in the dark for about 10 more seconds and then fade to silence.


No comments:

Post a Comment